Vegan Blueberry & Lemon Sour Cream Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (tossed in 1 tbsp flour)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup softened vegan butter
- 3/4 cup Good Karma Plant-Based Sour Cream
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2–1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1–2 teaspoon lemon zest for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the baking powder, flour, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a standing mixer, combine the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Once the mixture is fluffy, add in the Good Karma Plant-Based Sour Cream and vanilla extract. Continue to mix until combined.
- A little at a time, begin adding in the lemon juice, vegetable oil, and lemon zest. Then gradually add in the dry mix with the other ingredients until just combined. Careful not to over-mix!
- Note: Batter will be thick!
- In a small bowl, toss blueberries in 1 tbsp of flour until each of them are coated (this will keep the berries from sinking to the bottom of the cake). Gently fold them into the cake batter.
- Transfer the mixture into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper (this will make removing the cake effortless) and place in the oven for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean once inserted in the middle and the cake is golden brown.
- While the cake is baking, whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice until combined to make the glaze. Set aside.
- Note: sifting the powdered sugar will help ensure the icing is smooth.
- Once the cake has finished baking, remove from the oven. Use the parchment paper to pull the cake out of the loaf pan and let cool for 1-2 hours before drizzling the lemon glaze over the cake. Garnish with additional lemon zest and enjoy!
Free from: dairy, nuts, soy