Vegan Thanksgiving Pie
Write a review
For the crust
- 2 cups of gluten free flour (we used King Arthur Gluten Free Flour)
- 1 stick of vegan “butter”, cold
- 4 tablespoons of sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 5 tablespoons of ice cold water (use ice cubes to chill)
For the pumpkin filling
- 1 15 oz. can of pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons of pumpkin spice
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 cup of Good Karma Flaxmilk
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of corn starch
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. and grease a 9-inch pie dish.
- Add your flour, sugar and salt to a medium sized bowl and mix well.
- Cut your cold butter into thirds and place it into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Using a hand mixer, blend the butter on low. Slowly add your cold water, one tablespoon at a time. Be sure to not over mix. The mixture should be dry but lumpy. You can test the mixture by rolling it between your fingers. If it’s moist enough, it will turn dough-like between your fingers.
- Using your hands, compact the mixture into a ball and let rest for 15 minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll out the crust so that it’s round and flat. You can do this on parchment paper so that you can easily transfer it to a greased pie tin. Trim and crimp the edges using your fingers. If the dough rips, simply use some cold water and your finger to path it back. Set aside when complete.
- In another bowl, mix all the pumpkin filling ingredients together until fully blended.
- Pour this mixture into the unbaked pie crust (it should be just a half inch below the top of the crust) and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the crust turns golden brown. Cool before cutting.
- Free from: dairy, gluten, nuts and eggs and soy
Good Karma Foods http://goodkarmafoods.com/