Vegan Carrot Cake Cupcakes
Write a review
For the cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cup almond meal or quinoa flour
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- pinch cloves
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 lb pound carrots, peeled
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup flax milk
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax seeds with 2 tbsp flax milk)
- 1/4 + 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
For the frosting
- Vegan Cream Cheese (1/2 batch)
- 1/4 cup vegan cream cheese
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1.25 - 1.5 cups powdered sugar
- if needed: thin with flax milk
- if needed: thicken with flour or powdered sugar
How to make the cupcakes
- Adjust oven rack to the middle position, and preheat to 350 degrees F. Use cooking spray or butter to thoroughly grease the inside of the cupcake pan
- Dust the inside of each pan with gluten-free flour until the grease is completely covered and no spots of the pan are visible.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the gluten-free flour blend, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, cloves and ginger together until combined.
- In a food processor fitted with the large shredding disk, shred carrots.
- Transfer them to the mixing bowl with the flour.
- Wipe clean the food processor bowl, and fit with the metal blade (in place of the shredding disk).
- Add the granulated sugar, brown sugar and flax eggs and process until frothy and throughly combined, about 20 seconds.
- With processor running, add oil in a steady stream.
- Process until egg mixture is light in color and well emulsified, about 20 more seconds.
- Transfer egg mixture to the large bowl with the carrots and flour. Using a rubber spatula, stir the mixture until thoroughly combined. If using nuts, stir them in until combined.
- Pour batter evenly into the prepared pan(s). Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean
- Let cake cool completely in the pan(s) on a wire rack, about 1 hour. Run a knife around the edge of the cake to loosen. Remove cake, if transferring to a different serving platter, and frost as desired.
How To Make Vegan Gluten-Free "Cream Cheese" Frosting
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer or food processor, and mix until smooth and combined. If the frosting is too thick, add in some extra milk to thin. If the frosting is too thin, add in more powdered sugar to thicken.
- **To make the flax eggs, simply stir together 1 Tbsp. flaxmeal (freshly-ground) and 3 Tbsp. of water until combined PER EGG.
- Then refrigerate the mixture for at least 15 minutes, remove and whisk again, and the mixture should be thick and sticky.
Good Karma Foods http://goodkarmafoods.com/